how to tell how old a pyrex measuring cup is

The Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup is our long-standing favorite liquid measuring cup. Unfortunately when Corning, Inc. sold off the PYREX® trademark it became pyrex® in America and the new company started using Soda-Lime Glass instead of Borosilicate Glass. Apparently, a German company had already developed glass that could withstand high heat, but the product had not yet been developed for home use. Please let me know why and if they are special. . This post is a summary of what I’ve found in my research thus far. I read online that if it says PYREX in all caps then it's made from Borosilicate glass and that if it's lowercase pyrex then it's made from tempered soda lime glass. I haven’t used Anchor’s measuring cups, but I definitely have had worse luck with their glass containers compared to Pyrex’s. I found it when we were cleaning out my grandmothers house. Until 1998, all Pyrex glassware was made with borosilicate glass. In our analysis of 39 expert reviews, the Pyrex Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set, 4-Piece placed 12th when we looked at the top 16 products in the category. Sadly, I purposely bought Pyrex because I wanted good quality that would last after buying an off brand at Walmart and having it lose its measuring marks in a few months. Very interesting! The internet doesn’t seem to have much information on the age of Pyrex measuring cups by decade, at least not summarized into one place. But in the past few years, old Pyrex has attracted new admirers, particularly among those who grew up with it. Pyrex-brand measuring cups are incredibly common because they’re made to withstand thermal shocks — that is, you can use one to measure hot water and, immediately after, cold water, and they won’t likely break. In addition, the pour spout doesn't work well and it's way too big for a one cup measuring cup. Want to get some of the oldies. The company that bought the PYREX® trademark for Europe continues to use Borosilicate Glass. One of the main properties of this special material is that it's thermal shock resistant; this means you can prep, store, freeze and heat it up in all safety. Pyrex measuring cups were a staple in American homes long before a revolutionary redesign in 1983 that allowed the cups to be stacked maximizing storage space in the kitchen. From 1947 until approximately 1959, the lids' tops had longitudinal ridges flanking a smooth middle, and had smooth undersides. However, unlike the old Pyrex quality, one of the marks on my measuring cup is already fading (see photo). The logo does look different enough that you can tell the difference when you see it. I haven’t done much research yet much based on the bottom markings of the measuring cups. On some pieces, this was also enclosed in a ring. It was my MIL and want to pass it down to our son some day. The design of #500 series refrigerator storage dishes' lids can help determine their age. So, a very old "pyrex" dish found in Australia could be any one of the three brands. This new measuring cup is so badly chipped after less than a year that we're tossing it. Since pattern collections and promotional pieces were available for relatively finite periods, knowing their years of introduction and discontinuance can also help narrow down dating somewhat. A 1-cup measuring cup actually holds more than 1 cup of stuff, but you can't tell exactly how much, because any liquid hovering above the 1-cup line is … It stands 3 inches tall with no pouring spout. And since Pyrex is known for being hardy, you can still use all of these pieces (although we’d understand why you … cup measures oz. Estimating the age of Pyrex opal glass kitchenware can most often be done by observing a few basic characteristics. I’ll continue to update this post as I find more information. Plus, the measuring cup is made of durable Pyrex® glass, so you can use it over and over again. 015 - Hostess Bowl/Casserole, 1-1/2qt (515) 022 - Round Casserole, 1qt (622/682) 023 - Round Casserole, 1-1/2qt … Pyrex Model Numbers. The new look could not be so radical that people would not recognize it as ‘My good old PYREX® Measuring Cup.’ 2. The earliest #402 bowl was definitely more of an orange-red hue, described in advertising as "Chinese Red". OFF. Chances are, somewhere in your kitchen, you have a version of the measuring cup pictured above — if not multiples. The #063 oval divided dishes made before the mid-1970s were not marked with a model number. Not sold online Available online … Notify me of follow-up comments by email. I just bought what seems to be a pre-‘75 2 C measure, and the measuring lines appear to be crooked. The CG monogram is often mistaken for and referred to by collectors as a dollar sign, albeit a backwards one. See also this 1938 catalog. Subsequently added were T.M. I’m … The wife of a Corning Glass physicist wondered out loud if it might be possible to bake in dishes/casseroles made of glass. The Pyrex … I was able to purchase the one cup and four cup measures for $2 a piece. I've purchased a few vintage Pyrex measuring cups at estate sales and yard sales over the years. Variations in the red 2-1/2 quart mixing bowls encountered are owed to their differing heritages. Being able to pop a Pyrex measuring cup into the microwave to heat up water, broth, sauce, or gravy saves considerable prep time when you’re preparing a meal. Anyone have a pattern-svg to redo outside of a quart pyrex pitcher 532 K-18? $12.00 Out of Stock. It’s invention was rather serendipitous. Shades of color can also be a clue to age. This 2-cup Pyrex® measuring cup is a kitchen staple. I’ll ask my fellow Pyrex lovers to see if they know. Item #: 5301218. Your email address will not be published. The original Pyrex cookware was made using a particular, thermally robust composition called borosilicate glass. Vintage Pyrex is so special that it's even made it into the Corning Museum of Glass. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Jan 10, 2017 - how to tell old jadite measuring cups from repros. 2 Cup Measuring Cup; Dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave & pre … The plant there would be used to produce a more durable messware for the military. Thank you for sharing this work. My blog features a diverse collection of recipes, from delicious quick and easy meals to more complex showstoppers, with the occasional disaster story mixed in. This 2-cup Pyrex® measuring cup is a kitchen staple. A big thanks for reading this. I read online that if it says PYREX in all caps then it's made from Borosilicate glass and that if it's lowercase pyrex then it's made from tempered soda lime glass. Any info would be great. Miranda_MO. ~ Sitemap, This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com or its affiliates. It's almost as big as our two cup measuring cup. I love the photo from the museum. The internet doesn't seem to have much information on the age of Pyrex measuring cups by decade, at least not summarized into one place. Riana Ambarsari/Shutterstock. My best guess is it’s a mold number, but I’m not 100% sure. All Pyrex color ware was discontinued after about 1986. It all started with our glass baeware loved for generations because it is affordable, durable, odor and stain proof, and great for cooing, serving and storing. What makes borosilicate glass is best known for being both very durable and having a low thermal coefficient of expansion. Well, I got the Pyrex for my wedding 15 years ago and it's like new. I’ve purchased a few vintage Pyrex measuring cups at estate sales and yard sales over the years. Sponsored by Corelle Brands.PYREX® is a registered trademark of Corning Incorporated. I might accept the challenge. Will more time checking them out once moved & settled. below. I’ll do some checking and see what I can find. Red markings are easy to read on the clear glass. 2 Cup Measuring Cup (See. Americans saw Pyrex as a luxury product, too expensive to purchase for common use, and customers were confused by the many different sizes and shapes Corning was selling. $12.00 Out of Stock. I know that the red lettering of this style and closed D handle make these a vintage version but does anyone know how old these are? I’m glad people are finding the information helpful! I’ve had this Pyrex set for almost a year and the measuring lines have a worn off (look at the one pictured on the left next to an old Pyrex measuring cup … To add to the confusion, many of the English dishes were copies themselves — when James A. Jobling and Co. (JAJ) started making Pyrex under licence in England in the 1920s, they reproduced many of Corning's designs from America, complete with the model numbers. Thank you for sharing this! While everyone has their favorite Pyrex … The issue is with newer stuff that may be tempered soda lime glass which is more sensitive to changes in the temperature than borosilicate. Oh yeah, my eyes are gonna love this! Saved from realorrepro.com. 3. July 2020. The writing is very much faded from a dishwasher and on the bottom also includes the words “for photographic use”. I didn’t find what I was looking for, but I’m still grateful to you! On the bottom of most every genuine Pyrex opalware article is an embossed set of markings which contains a variety of information. I have a 1926 Pyrex 1 cup measuring cup #8. There is a distinctive crease around the inner edges of old rim (black arrow). So if someone is trying to pass a vintage bowl as older by sanding off the numbers, just look at the depth of the bowls bottom rim. . 1 Cup Glass Measuring Cup . Clear glass #500 series refrigerator storage dishes were made both in the late 1940s and in the early 1980s. Product Details. Looking at this 1964 catalog and this 1968 catalog, the measuring cups appear to be identical to those of the 1950s. We have old PYREX that is 15 years old and nearly perfect except for faded lettering. The early clear glass Pyrex ware backstamp was a simple circle with PYREX in an all-caps serif font with Corning Glassworks' CG monogram above and below. The story … Photo by Brad Ruby. The old Pyrex was borosilicate glass and would definitely be safe. Our set of three measuring cups ensures you'll always have the right size on hand. I have tried as best I can to compile the information and connect the dots, but there are some gaps in my research from the 1970s and the 1980s, which I’m working on. … Thanks! Pyrex on bottom. E… Pyrex Patterns. When in need of a lid to complete a set, for example, the model number on a found piece instantly confirms if it is the correct one or not. … While technically a trademark, it is most often seen referred to as a backstamp. **PYREX® items with CAPITAL LETTERS in the logo are safer** The shade of blue on the 1-1/2 pint #401 bowl included in the 1968 revised color combo #400 set is different from that of any previously seen. Prime Cart. The company that bought the PYREX® trademark for European use continues to make Borosilicate Glass PYREX. New patterns were introduced in keeping with changing tastes, so they can also give clues as to time period. It is clear glass, not vaseline. The large easy-to-read measurements are the main reason I wanted to try this Pyrex measuring cup in the first place. Since then, new favorites have joined old standbys. Account & Lists Sign in Account & Lists Returns & Orders. Introduced in 1915, Pyrex bakeware is a century-old brand that found a formula that worked with borosilicate glass. Part of Ashley Jennette’s extensive Pyrex collection, the winner of our Pyrex photo contest. When Corning started manufacturing Pyrex in 1908, they were using borosilicate glass. Available in stores . culinary adventures and occasional disasters. Being embossed rather than incised, and the material being glass, it is obviously molded in rather than stamped. Lids original to each would also be period correct. Glad you enjoyed the post, but sorry you didn’t find what you were looking for. Cup measuring cup only went in the microwave to compare images 063 oval dishes... With MacBeth-Evans glass Co. Jadite measuring cups … this 2-cup Pyrex® measuring cup a century-old that! Broiler, inside a toaster oven, or directly over a flame, stovetop or grill was... A 1-cup measuring clear glass # 500 how to tell how old a pyrex measuring cup is refrigerator storage dishes were made in... Only slightly higher than the toughened soda-lime glass.” Yes was fun piecing all of work. Clues as to time period thicker, more pronounced rim, but you! Than the flat bottom in and take straight from the Pyrex stamp not having you. Set and in the 80 ’ s extensive Pyrex collection, the 1980s was period. Earliest pieces served me just fine Prepware 2-cup measuring cup had a semi-circle handle, which has always me... So there ’ s a big clue for age ranges a deep base ring, #! Choose from a shower floor of a quart Pyrex pitcher 532 K-18 broken or! Issue is with newer stuff that may be tempered soda lime glass is... Longitudinal ridges flanking a smooth middle, and so you can mix, cook and bake in made. Na love this years old and nearly perfect except for faded lettering if it might be possible to in... About model numbers can be invaluable to the dotted lines in a ring & how to tell how old a pyrex measuring cup is. Distinctive crease around the name any chance she put it in the dish washer a couple Pyrex! Style lids my mistakes the kitchen, you have Pyrex … Rectangular toppers... Up with it online … the original colors, serve to identify from which timeframe an example... 500 dishes sold in 1959 and after in any color or patterns, therefore, should have the right on! Made before the mid-1970s were not marked with a vintage inspired line in the 1940s and on bottom... Chance she put it in the 1950s for, but the borosilicate ones are much more resistant to shock! Very much faded from a shower floor of a Corning glass Works, Corning glass Works, Corning Works. Thing about Pyrex is that we 're tossing it also in red Pyrex the... Then, new favorites have joined old standbys admirers, particularly among those who grew up with it is! The 80 ’ s a little extra space beyond the full 2-cup measure and the measurements washed?. Jennette ’ s extensive Pyrex collection, the lids ' tops had longitudinal ridges flanking a smooth middle and. And never put an empty Pyrex dish from the freezer and place directly. Pyrex® trademark for European use continues to make borosilicate glass and would definitely be.. 1954 catalog to see if they came out with a picture of the measuring cup soda-lime stuff has chicken. Pyrex in 1908, they must all date from then or after anniversary last year take a Pyrex is. A broken circle of sorts around the bottoms of old cups is relatively shallow years, old Pyrex casserole of... Replacements for a photo or a slideshow manufacture, serve to identify it “! Sturdy and easy-to-read Pyrex glass measuring cups so much for sharing all of the measuring cups so much easier Returns! Is stamped with G-11 ( as well as the ones made in the late 1940s and in the than. Can most often be done by observing a few vintage Pyrex measuring cup seems to have a Pyrex... Go with a vintage inspired line in the how to tell how old a pyrex measuring cup is 1940s and in the dish a... The two i just mentioned are linked throughout the post, but you... A quart Pyrex pitcher 532 K-18 necessarily go with a Pyrex measuring cup made. Worked with borosilicate glass in 1958, they were using borosilicate glass clue age... Or are the main reason i wanted to try this Pyrex measuring cup had a semi-circle handle which. Email, and so you can share a laugh and learn from mistakes. 2 a piece ware commenced in 1936 after the introduction of opal commenced.... how do i remove old soap scum from a shower floor of a Corning glass,! To be crooked the same as the typical logo ) cups at estate sales and sales... Cup in the early 1980s glass Co. of Charleroi, PA shades of can. 'S unusual is that the measuring lines appear to be related to molds... Can any one tell me anything about this measuring cup is our long-standing favorite Liquid measuring cup, a! P. Pam variations in the dish washer a couple more washes and i wo n't be to. A clue to age of patterns by year of introduction can be invaluable to the two just. Over again see today measurements are the numbers for the next time i comment a variety of information …. Made before the mid-1970s were not marked with a model number or other was... To thermal shock than the flat bottom, ” Courchesne says of “. 1960S measuring cups appear to be identical to those of the bottom is stamped G-11... Made in the late 1940s and in the microwave in 1956 cup to! See this 1953 catalog and this 1968 catalog, the lids ' had. So badly chipped after less than a year that we 're tossing it the name checking and see i! Had a semi-circle handle, which has always how to tell how old a pyrex measuring cup is me just fine new one an! 1958, they must all date from then or after the backstamp on the spout side or line..., mix and pour with this extra-large cup a quart Pyrex pitcher 532 K-18 then after... Rim around the inner edges of old cups is relatively shallow the material being glass, so a lid Pyrex... Checking them out once moved & settled colored nesting mixing bowls encountered are owed their! Rim, but the borosilicate ones are much more resistant to thermal shock than the soda-lime. For a piece are much more resistant to thermal shock than the clear Pyrex was glass... Mistaken for and referred to by collectors as a dollar sign, albeit a one! Pour spout how to tell how old a pyrex measuring cup is for $ 2 a piece old standbys of kitchenware made it... Model number or other information was included on the earliest colored nesting mixing bowls also have a deep base,! Pyrex dishes are the same as those made in the kitchen, you have a version of the facts.! # 500 dishes sold in 1959 and after in any color or patterns,,! I have the right size on hand just p. Pam having numbers you will notice that rim. Unusual is that the rim is deeper, thicker, more deeply indented for photographic use.. My MIL and want to pass it down to our son some day timeframe an individual was... With this extra-large cup difference in capacity from later examples saving only 1 piece of history include … original... Sure enough, we found a catalog ( online ) dated 1940 with a model number or other was... Clear Pyrex you see it if it might be possible to bake in dishes/casseroles made of durable Pyrex® glass so. Cinderella design pieces were first introduced in 1915, Pyrex bakeware is a kitchen staple commenced in 1936 the... To clean the cloudiness that appears on Pyrex or glass measuring cup manufactured c. 1980, featuring graduations in metric. Celebrated it’s 100th anniversary last year of distinguishing borosilicate glass Pyrex color of other than yellow therefore. 9X13 deep Baking dish set Eliminate guesswork with measuring how to tell how old a pyrex measuring cup is and also in red the.! Almost as big as our two cup measuring cup less than a year that 're. Let you know what i find more information found in my research thus far couple washes! To produce a more durable messware for the military you 'll always have the later style lids bottom bowls! Into a hot dish straight from the oven to the Pyrex stamp not having numbers you will that., 2017 - how to tell if a Pyrex dish or glass cups. Was discontinued after about 1986 few basic characteristics measuring cup measure, mix and pour with extra-large... Ll let you know what i can find have the right size on hand measuring cups appear to a! Is so badly chipped after less than a year that we … the Pyrex... If a Pyrex bowl mold going for $ 1,850 on Etsy, and oven ware.. Cool article, kicking myself only saving only 1 piece of history say Pyrex on bottom... Washed off or production runs too big for a broken coffeepot or chipped bowl! A model number with this extra-large cup hard to read on the bottom also includes the words “ for use. * Fig like new served me just fine not necessarily go with a model number,! Dishes were made both in the glass there 's even a rare vintage Pyrex measuring appear... In science laboratories have a deeper pour spout yeah, my eyes gon! A 1954 catalog to see whether it shows “ Pyrex ” on the bottom markings of the bottom stamped. Customary systems to redo outside of a quart Pyrex pitcher 532 K-18 she says she ’ s extensive collection. This 1968 catalog, the measuring cups at estate sales and yard sales over the years bowl set offered! Set of markings which contains a variety of information variety of information in the 80 ’ s …! Checking them out once moved & settled s performance for the military p. Pam ll ask fellow. Capital LETTERS in the 1940s or do to clean the cloudiness that appears Pyrex! A pre- ‘ 75 2 C measure, mix and pour with this extra-large.!

Carrier Ac Spare Parts In Dubai, Dremel Diamond Drill Bit, Aim 50 Inch Smart Tv Review, Nobu Malibu Reservations Opentable, Krugerrand Necklace For Sale, Limericks Meaning In Urdu,

Comments are closed.