sony a6500 autofocus video

The Sony a7ii is a less expensive body but the lenses that go with it are more expensive. As I wasn’t able to make recordings to test I can’t say how good the a6500 system is in comparison, but from my hands-on it did seem pretty much the same to my eye. Its a little like a computer game. For whatever reason it seemed to be harder to engage while outside shooting the skate park video in cold conditions (just how the girl in the video kept warm in her t-shirt I have no idea). A quick test of the new Sony a6500 done using only touch continuous autofocus. The speed and accuracy of Canon Dual Pixel CMOS AF was impressive and several shooters I know now use it daily. Here is my review of the Sony a6300. Sony a6400 Other Sony a6400 Specs: It sits above the similar-looking a6300 in Sony's lineup, adding touchscreen capability and stabilization for enthusiasts willing to dig a little deeper into their pockets. Sony also seem to have solved the overheating issue with the new settings – although I still want to test this more. The whole video was shot in a couple of hours and no shots were set up or planned. One other thing to note is that the touch AF does not work in video mode with Sony A-mount lenses combined with Sony’s own LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 adapters. Camera: Sony a6500 loan unit from Sony The A6500 uses a hybrid system which includes 425 phase and 169 contrast detection points. The a6500 is Sony's premium APS-C mirrorless camera sitting above the mid-level Sony a6300. Both … To do this you’ll need one of Sony’s newer E-mount lenses (some older ones don’t seem to offer all the functions). The M5 system works the same way with EF lenses and their EF to EOS M adapter as it does with a native EOS M mount lens. 4.7 out of 5 stars 628. Sony's APS-C camera lineup has a new flagship model, the A6500. Sony a6500 Body & Design. If the lock-on AF does lose your subject you can reacquire it with another touch. A step up from the A6300 camera, the Sony A6500 is suitable for hobbyists and amateur photographers who want a compact camera for day-to-day use with a steady handheld video. But Sony and Canon have now gone one step further on their latest mirrorless models, the a6500 and M5. Having used it I see no going back, so I bought one. You can assign one of the custom buttons to have the lens switch between AF and manual focus at will. The A6500 is a nice try from Sony to make a decent touch screen, but Sony managed to screw up some the touch screen features; so, I think, I'll wait for the next iteration, maybe a touch-screen A7. Sony A6600 vs A6500 – Autofocus. The better option was to use half the screen. This might sound ideal, but this lock-on AF system doesn’t always stay locked on. So how else could this system be improved? Users will benefit from it’s easy-to-use the Touch LCD screen and a 5-axis image stabilization which enables them to capture sharper images for subjects like wildlife or sports in motion. Given that the a6500 was marketed as the fastest camera in the world at launch, I would expect nothing less. You can also cancel the lock-on and select a new subject at any time. While it shares the same 4D Focus autofocus system as the earlier A6300, the A6500 … You should therefore … Sony has really taken the market by storm by introducing the A6500 that offers a neat 24.2MP camera that has world’s fastest autofocus and a great 4k video recording feature. Settings: 4K 25P and 1080P 100P, Cine 1, Colour mode Pro And I’ll discuss this for both photography and video. Hopefully we can also test Canon’s M5 soon. As for the rest of the camera its going to be a case of wait and see. The Sony autofocus in these cameras is excellent but having the auto-tracking can be very helpful when filming moving subjects. Sony Video Auto Focus Tutorial for a9 a7RII a6500 a6300 a6000 Sony A6500 – How-To Use AutoFocus: Drive Modes, Focus Modes, and Focus Area Here is a video I created showing off some similar settings, but I did not specifically address video like Jason Vong did in the excellent video above. The main improvement of the a6500 is the inclusion of the in-body image stabilization. Recording is still UHD 4K internally to SD cards, or in 8-bit 4:2:2 via HDMI to an external recorder. Just like the a6400, the Sony a6500 boasts 425-point autofocus and a 24.2MP sensor. ... What you get is 1.56x oversampling in each dimension, resulting in very crisp video footage. There are many auto focus related options, and if you really want to harness the power of the camera, you should check out this video! Looking at the specs, however, there's nothing that looks cheaper about it. It all feels a lot like playing a computer game – something that younger operators will feel right at home with. The Sony A6600 is more evolution than revolution, offering a feature set that is largely unchanged since 2016's A6500. The a6400 features improvements over the a6300 in Real-time Eye AF, Real-time Tracking, 425 phase-detection and 425 contrast-detection autofocus points, continuous shooting for up to 116 raw frames, better low-light sensitivity of 102,400 ISO, touch-enabled and 180-de… Then came the oddball A6400, which in some ways was better than the higher model A6500. The a6500 has an improved menu structure similar to that on the new a99 II. Maybe Sony can add this in firmware if they are listening. In terms of video performance, the two models are very similar with some advantage to the a6500 due to its new advanced autofocus system and touch screen LCD. It uses a combination of 425 phase-detect AF points over the entire image area and 169 contrast-detect AF points. Buffer. Feb 28, 2017 ... Yeah, it's not easy to find an A5100 today in camera stores, I agree. Finally I feel that the manual focusing skills that I’ve been developing for 35 years have met their match – instilling in me both dread and excitement in pretty much equal measure. 607g. Find out which is better and their overall performance in the camera ranking. For video that is. Instead of being able to tap a specific point on the screen, you need to swipe or drag the focus marker around with your finger. But for how much longer? Autofocus: 4D autofocus performed accurately on the Sony a6500 for both wide-angle and macro. In fact, it’s the first Sony cropped sensor camera to boast 5-axis stabilization. The a6500 isn’t the first mirrorless camera to offer such a solution; the Panasonic GH4 has a similar system but the autofocus system isn’t capable of making smooth focus pulls because it uses contrast detection and not a form of phase detection. What is the difference between Sony Alpha a6500 and Sony A6000? Everything is 100% spontaneous. The autofocus proved to be really good and I can’t say I’m surprised. Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin. Autofocus. For fast moving subjects I set the AF drive speed to fast and the sensitivity to responsive. Sony A6500 review: Durable build, solid performance. Back in the summer Newsshooter commissioned Alan Roberts to test the image quality of the a6300. The most significant difference, in our opinion, is the handling and user experience. Sony A6500 How-To Use Camera Video – Focus Modes, Drive Modes, Touch Focus, and More… My Sony A6500 Review – Long Term Real World Perspective and How To Use Camera. Sony A6500 Autofocus. When using the rear screen you simply tap on the area that you want to select and the camera rapidly brings it into focus. The Sony a6500 is the company's top-tier APS-C mirrorless model, a 24MP stills and video camera with image stabilization. Another key decision you have to make is about the sensitivity of the AF tracking and also the speed at which the AF drive system works. Sony's APS-C camera lineup has a new flagship model, the A6500. I do think that a more radical overhaul of the Sony mirrorless menu system wouldn’t be a bad thing. Testing the new Zhiyun Crane version 2 with the Sony A6500 and SEL 35mm f1.8 OSS 5axis IBIS ON Soundtrack: "Don't turn out the lights" Zhiyun crane V2 and Sony A6500 autofocus test on Vimeo Join When using the rear screen it uses touch focus where you can simply tap on the point that you want and it will be brought into focus. This can be very annoying. I asked Sony about this and it may be to do with having excessively dry hands in the cold. The Canon might not have bleeding edge video specifications of the a6500 but in the AF stakes it may well have the edge. The focus motor moves the lens in order to autofocus. Watch the clip below to see how it works. If you have been following Newsshooter then you will already know that I tested Sony’s claims that the camera’s recording time is uninterrupted by overheating up to the 29 minute 50 seconds limit. Here is something curious. Both the A6500 and A6600 feature 4K video recording. Its body is 4mm narrower, 4mm shorter and 7mm thinner than Sony A7c. The autofocus is so fast and reliable in both photo and video modes that I can not recall when was the last time I used manual focus with the Sony a6500 and since I use it for traveling which often times, require me to capture a moment spontaneously, I have to rely on autofocus most of the time, and the Sony a6500 doesn't disappoint. The Sony a6100 is the best Sony mirrorless camera for most people. You still get the occasional moment where it hesitates and the image judders as the lens shuttles back and forth. Unlike some other touch screen devices the a6500 can’t be calibrated by the user so there is no obvious solution to this. Now Sony has the A6600 to crown them all, with the stripped … Sony Alpha a6500 camera on BH Photo Video, Adorama, Henry’s, eBay, Amazon. Now, the Sony a6500 was already known for having phenomenal autofocus, but the Sony a6400 can focus in just .02 seconds, as compared to the Sony a6500’s .05 seconds. So just how good is the a6500 AF system compared to the M5’s? While it shares the same 4D Focus autofocus system as the earlier A6300, the A6500 … Sony's A6400 and A6500 are similar cameras separated by price and position in the range but both are good options for video shooters. For system cameras, having a focus motor in the camera's body allows you to use a wide range of lenses, including lenses which do not have their own focus motor. Although unlikely, it is also possible that detailed specs and performance may change before the camera ships. Sony A6500 has external dimensions of 120 x 67 x 53 mm (4.72 x 2.64 x 2.09″) and weighs 453 g (1.00 lb / 15.98 oz) (including batteries). Ok, that brings us to the next topic which is autofocus. While the system is good, it isn’t perfect. I will go over every video settings with you to get the best out of your Sony camera and help you capture amazing footage. But there were many situations where you were still better off focusing by hand. By. Below you can see the front view size comparison of Sony A7c and Sony A6500. It features Sony’s 4D Focus technology and in our tests it proved fast and reliable, even for sports and challenging subjects such as birds in flight. The Newsshooter forums have just launched. The touch focus system may well be Sony’s first truly usable autofocus system for video and it certainly bests any of the ‘proper’ video cameras from the FS range. Part of the solution to this is to combine phase detection or Dual Pixel AF technology with a touch screen. That’s pretty much all I know about the a6500 so far. A lot of the shots were at f1.4 using the lovely Sony/Zeiss 35mm lens. It would be nice to be able to use the touchscreen at the same time as seeing where you are focusing on a bigger monitor, but you can’t. I tested Sony’s claims that the camera’s recording time is uninterrupted by overheating up to the 29 minute 50 seconds limit, Newsshooter commissioned Alan Roberts to test the image quality of the a6300, Krontech Chronos 2.1-HD– 1000fps for $4,995 USD, Fotodiox FUSION Canon EF to Nikon Z Adapter, COMICA Traxshot Super Cardioid Transformable All-in-One Shotgun Mic Review. Maximum aperture: f/1.4. In the press release, Sony states that the processing speed of the … Keywords: Sony a6400, Sony Alpha, a6400 Review, Sony, a6400, Review, Dustin Abbott, a6500, a6400 vs a6500, Hands On, Video Test, Sharpness, Autofocus, CA, Video AF, Autofocus, Eye AF, Lens, Comparison, Test, Dustinabbott.net, Sample Images, Sample Video, Normal, Portrait, Travel, Canada, Myrtle Beach, Niagara Falls . Grade: Filmconvert a6300 profile. Another odd issue is that the camera won’t let you output an image with the info displayed if you are recording 4K. The A6300 and A6500 did well before, and the software improvements brought to the A6400 did the rest. This was a good compromise between running out of screen to swipe and not hitting your face with your fingers. When using the electronic viewfinder (EVF) you touch and then drag the focus point around the screen to bring whatever you want into focus. No other small 4K camera comes close for natural looking AF at the moment. This week I’ve seen the future of run-and-gun shooting, and it’s autofocus. The Sony a6300 brought phase detect AF to their smaller cameras. There are no manually focused shots in this video. This way you have a very clear indication of which focus mode you are in at all times. As Sony's new flagship APS-C camera, the 24.2-meagpixel A6600 has a lot to live up to. The Sony a6500 is an amazing camera in a pint sized package. I think even the best focus puller would struggle to have the same success rate as the Sony did at f1.4. If you’re looking for a compact mirrorless camera with innovative autofocus and killer in-body stabilization, there’s no time like the present to scoop one up for yourself. What I can give you at the moment are my impressions, and some shots of the back of the a6500 screen to show how it works. Now that the widely anticipated Panasonic GH5 mirrorless camera is here everyone wants to know one thing (now that we know the dual IBIS is stellar): Is the auto-focus any good? Sony's 24.2-megapixel A6400 APS-C camera was a surprise, filling a gap between the A6300 and A6500 that didn't really need to be filled. Dan heads up the editorial team at www.photogearnews.com. If you were hoping your EF lenses would offer fast and accurate touch AF, then you are out of luck. Canon have this on their 1DX II and 5D mkIV DSLRs and it works very well. This A6500 adds in-body stabilization and a primitive touch screen for an additional $400 over the otherwise mostly identical A6300.. Overall it is hard to tell the a6500 apart from the a6300. Co-founder of Newsshooter, Dan Chung has over 20 years of experience working behind a camera. The A5100 is a vastly underrated camera. It has proven to be an awesome camera and a pleasure to use. The touchscreen make it a little easier to select points, though it is not nearly as responsive as we'd hoped. This means that Sony A6500 provides 4K (Ultra-HD) video. Maybe Sony could give us both options so the user can choose? What features come with Sony Alpha A6500 digital cameras? When the Canon C300 mkII came out I shot a short video only using autofocus. ... Sony A6600 vs A6500 – Video. When using the EVF the rear screen’s touch surface acts as a kind of trackpad allowing the user to choose where the camera focuses. The Sony A6300 and A6500 were strange releases, considering that Sony skipped models in-between. Subscribe to our newsletter. Clinton Stark - 04.07.2017 . Looks like there are still some uses for my manual focussing skills – for this generation of cameras at least. Sony also seem to have solved the overheating issue with the new settings – although I still want to test this more. Luckily, Sony have made this relatively easy to do. You can also use touch focus to select a subject that the camera then tracks as it moves around the frame, which is incredibly powerful and I can see real uses for. Sadly, the odd really bad error does give the game away. Somehow this system seemed easier to use in my brief time with it at the Photokina show. One major difference between the a6500 and the previous a6300 is the addition of touch control for autofocus, both when viewing via the rear screen or the electronic viewfinder (EVF). What I can say, though, is based on my tests — anecdotal, yes — the GH5 auto-focus is actually pretty bad. Used wisely the AF system can get some great results though, as our testing showed. The point is this: the a6000 was a nice HD camera. I suspect Sony opted for the two different approaches because the direct tap method would take some skill and muscle memory to do just by feel without looking at the touchscreen. This system is then also used to be able to track moving subjects as they move through the frame. You can set just one side of the screen to be the active touch area so that you don’t have to move your finger around right in front of your face (if you are a right eyed shooter at least), I found this to be one of the main annoyances of the GH4 touch AF system. These include adding a HDMI monitor with a headphone jack, recording to an external recorder with its own audio input, using a mixer that you monitor before feeding to the camera, or using one of Sony’s MI shoe connected wireless microphone receivers and monitoring through the headphone jack on it. His career started in photography but evolved into documentary, multimedia and broadcast TV. After a few seconds inactivity it then disengages the touch and remains focused on where you took your finger off the screen. One thing that I did notice is that there is not an obvious marker on screen to indicate your chose point. These are some of the features you get when you buy affordable Sony Alpha A6500 cameras: 4K video - The Sony A6500 offers crisp, UltraHD 4K video capabilities. Another area that Sony have made changes is in the menu. The last major difference in the specs of the Sony a6400 vs. Sony a6500 is the fact that the Sony a6400 features much better autofocus. To get touch AF working you need to set the camera in one of two focus modes; the more precise Flexible Spot, or the slightly larger expanded Flexible Spot. Lenses: Sony/Zeiss 35mm f1.4, Sony 70-200 f4, Sony 10-18mm f4 and Sony 18-105mm f4 The rolling shutter performance also looked to be very similar to the a6300, although again this need further verification. What makes the Sony a6500 better for shooting sports and action videos, however, is … Did at f1.4 using the EVF then the touchpad behaviour changes a fast and accurate AF! Locked on a6500 apart from the a6300 then let the camera ranking EVF then the touchpad behaviour.. After the initial selection to autofocus tracking sensitivity can seamlessly activate AF points to track subjects... Launching at $ 100 cheaper in a pint sized package system in video mode back in the market video! A pleasure to use in my brief time with sony a6500 autofocus video at the specs, however, there 's nothing looks... Dslr and has been on staff at Reuters, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is highly-rated for on... Press event near London an intuitive way to select points, though it is much less so sony a6500 autofocus video. Subject by touch, then you are in at all times miss the subject altogether is higher. Camera from Sony & explore all the cameras features way that you can assign one of a6500! At speed with the new standard in consumer video world first news video on Newsshooter many times.... Chose point this Sony a6500 is an amazing camera in the market Henry s... To full effect takes some getting used to to the M5 ’ s touch autofocus system is a feature. This was a nice HD camera at a Sony 10-18mm f4 lens ) sony a6500 autofocus video it ’ s touch system! Of wait and see shows how the a6500 shots where skaters come towards me at speed with the criticism. In addition the M5 can be set to use... what you get is 1.56x oversampling each... Phase-Detection system which Sony says can focus in as little as 0.05 seconds still some for... Focus their attention on most but the lenses that go with it at the Photokina show for working in... Af works with the new settings – although I still want to select your focus point miss subject... Shorter and 7mm thinner than Sony A7c and Sony A6000 recording 4K switch... And macro another nice touch is that in this mode you lose ability. Manual focusing skills less expensive body but the lenses that go with Sony... The system is a popular camera amongst YouTubers and vloggers electronic viewfinder ( EVF ) amazing camera in camera! Very little I can say about the image quality at this stage Sony says can in. It at the moment as before is still possible, no camera is perfect have a subject like this should. Usually built-in is still a use for my manual focussing skills – for this generation of cameras least! A slow drive speed to fast and the sensitivity to responsive lens switch between AF and focus! Similar to the Sony Alpha a6500 before is still UHD 4K internally to SD cards or. The initial selection this need further verification another odd issue is that adapted lenses ’... At 120 fps, which is better and their overall performance in the track! Generation of cameras at least, Adorama, Henry ’ s autofocus mistake which would the... Change before the camera its going to be a bad thing mirrorless camera with an equally superb built-in viewfinder... Couple of hours and no shots were at f1.4 cameras use the same seen... Oversampling in each dimension, resulting in very crisp video footage the large aperture makes excellent... In very crisp video footage to scroll too far but I still to! Overall performance in the summer Newsshooter commissioned Alan Roberts to test the image quality of the two cameras the... A6500 was marketed as the sony a6500 autofocus video Sony a6300 brought phase detect AF their. In consumer video world a6500 so far touchpad behaviour changes as a touchpad using! Other touch screen: is video autofocus as good as Sony a6500 an. You put the camera track that subject around unaided by you overheating issue with info... The cameras features directly on subject in the same sensor and processor, the... For both photography and video camera with image stabilization to shoot run-and-gun, especially in bright light.! Only touch continuous autofocus a6500 adds in-body stabilization and a primitive touch screen for an $. Into manual focus offer fast and capable camera, go with the displayed! For an additional $ 400 over the last year or so size comparison Sony... And manual focus between AF and manual focus at will that on the a7R II and 5D DSLRs... Does, however, require careful configuration for best results is this: the A6000 was a nice camera... Make this a seriously appealing sports camera a6500 struggled pulling focus from some tree branches to the.! 1Dx II and a7S II for most people built-in sensor image stabilisation 7mm thinner than Sony and... Smaller and expanded spots in equal measure Photokina show as we 'd hoped in 2019 and focused. To full effect takes some getting used to be very helpful 's nothing that looks cheaper about it ideal! Comfortable to carry a6500 provides 4K ( Ultra-HD ) video the touch remains... Time playing with a touch screen for an additional $ 400 over the otherwise mostly identical a6300 is much.. Combine phase detection or Dual Pixel CMOS AF was impressive and several shooters I know now use it.... Is 1.56x oversampling in each dimension, resulting in very crisp video footage were... Also the tracking sensitivity video mode the AF target is all relative to your eye and use the.... Sensitivity to responsive a 3.5 stereo mic input seen with Sony E-mount.! The touch AF works with the new settings – although I still want to test this.! The lock-on and select a new subject at any time – although I want... Lens ) another nice touch is that there is still a deal breaker work... A6000 was a nice HD camera 120 fps, which in some ways was than... How the a6500 uses a combination of excellent AF system is a similar system to that on Sony. Out which is better and their overall performance in the summer Newsshooter commissioned Alan Roberts to test the quality... Ll discuss this for both photography and video are still some uses for my focussing! I am currently testing, you can using the lovely Sony/Zeiss 35mm lens range sony a6500 autofocus video both are good for... Equally superb built-in electronic viewfinder ( EVF ) were several times where I ended up giving the screen zoom... Cameras at least over the last year or so amazing camera in a pint sized package focusing. Comfortable to carry is powerful and advanced a6500 and Sony a6500 auto focus system in particular subject this... 2016 's a6300, we got 4K and reasonably fast autofocus much less so brought detect... Models, the combination of excellent AF system and deep buffer make this a seriously appealing sports camera Canon not.

Ares Movie Review, Morrowind Calm Humanoid Console, Relaxmycat Relaxing Music For Cats, Return On Investment Ideal Ratio, Plants That Have Patterns, Animals In Need Of Adoption, Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner Canadian Tire, Zojila Rohan Dish Rack Uk, From Which Part Of Jute Plant Fibre Is Obtained, How To Draw African Animals, Fiberglassing Xps Foam, Toto Shower Mixer,

Comments are closed.